Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is negativity killing us?

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 11 months ago #2160

I have stumbled upon an interesting article that states that negative thinking and constant complaining are super bad for us.
By stating and arguing some pretty good scientific evidence about how our thoughts reshape our brains, and thus are changing a physical construct of reality.
I was blow away!
Every thought and emotion we have releases certain chemicals that help develop our brains in certain direction and come to represent our default personality: intelligence, skills, aptitudes, and most easily accessible thoughts.

So:
"Want to be happy? Surround yourself with happy people who rewire your brain towards love, not towards fear of being invalidated." Generally, shed of negative bullshit :D

Negative bullshit is the main cause of stress and stress hormone, cortisol, is public health enemy number one. Stress can kill you, believe me :D

Here is the full article: psychpedia.blogspot.rs/2015/11/the-scien...f-happiness-why.html

What do you think? Can we help our health out by being more positive thus avoiding stress?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 11 months ago #2182

To answer your question simply, for sure we can!
On one hand I think that taking this line of reasoning as gospel is a bit naive, you can't just wish your troubles away by thinking happy thoughts, nothing in life is that simple. But, on the other hand, having a healthy attitude of realistic optimism, viewing everything that happens to you, good or bad, as a valuable experience (like I have done my whole life) and generally not dwelling on the negative aspect of your life is the best thing you can do for your health and all round peace of mind.
I hate it when people obsess about the bad stuff in their life and let their negativity, depression and general bad vibes get the better of them. Don't misunderstand, I don't hate the people this happens to, I hate the fact that it happens at all. When I see people like that, people who don't realize what an amazing miracle just the act of living really is, it makes me very sad and it makes me want to shake some sense into them. It makes me want to shove the appreciation of the glory of life right down their sad mopey throats! I know that this attitude can sometimes come off as too strong and can actually be counterproductive and I know some people really have it rough and can't help it, but the fact that this is true is, for me, tragic to the point of tears :(

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 11 months ago #2234

This has a strong point on explaining brain chemistry and how it works. The positive attitude in life does make for a happier one. This does not mean putting on pink glasses and crossing not to see the problems, it means taking the problems head on, with a smile and learning from them. I view every situation as a lesson and try to implement changes to my behavior from every lesson I have learned.
And I had it hard sometimes, we all did, but I still wake up every day with hope and anticipation and a desire to change this world for the better!
Overthinking the problem only makes the problem bigger :)
I will not be forgotten This is my time to shine I've got the scars to prove it
Only the strong survive
I'm not afraid of dying Everyone has their time Life never favored weakness
Welcome to the pride

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 11 months ago #2263

Oh c'mon! Thinking happy will not make you happy! Problem should be looked at from all sides, carefully... You call it overthinking I call it : common sense :D

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 11 months ago #2277

I'm with LadySelene on this one. Here in the States we already have so much of that wishy washy happy go lucky crap. Everybody is so super special. Everybody gets a trophy just for participating. God forbid you hurt someones precious little feelings and sensibilities. That form of escapism pisses me off so much!
Not everybody is special, not everybody deserves a trophy and just because you believe you deserve to be happy doesn't mean life will go that way, no matter how many happy thoughts you think. Sometimes life will just plain suck and you can do nothing about it except deal with it B)

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 11 months ago #2280

Have you even read the article? Judging by your ignorant and completely retarded response, I would say that you did not.
You just keep wailing and whining like a little bitch over anybody and anything you perceive is more fortunate than you and sound like a spoiled brat.
So that is why you are always angry, dude, you never got a trophy :D
Here is one, just for you, feeling better?

Depression is most often induced by changed chemical balance in the brain. We can affect that state a bit and help ourselves (along with medical treatment) by positively stimulating our brain. That has been proven in medical testing enough times.
Also we can impact our lives by having positive outlook and attitude. Part of it is: others people brain chemistry and how others perceive and react to us ( we are treated better and people tend to have positive impression of us if we are positive) and second part is: tricking our own brain in to happiness. It is not random happy thoughts and wishing to the universe and lucky charms. It is a targeted positive stimulation of the brain by triggering certain centers and synapses .
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by MumboJumbo.

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 11 months ago #2303

LOOOOL!
Wailing and whining about people more fortunate than me? How the hell did you get that from my post?
You funny, girl :lol:
As for the depression thing, nobody is disputing that it's caused by chemical imbalances and that you can affect those imbalances with your attitude but you yourself said the key word there:MumboJumbo wrote:
We can affect that state a bit and help ourselves
See how I made extra sure to bold/underscore/italic that "a bit" part? Because that's just it, of course that having a positive outlook on life is an objectively good thing and can help you, but only a bit. Now, normal, rational people like me (and I wanna say you but I'm not sure it applies :P ) might be wise enough to know that that is just one part of the equation, but the problem I have with articles like this and that whole school of thought is because of the scores of gullible people who don't know any better and take this shit like scripture. That is the danger of thinking this way. If you don't have the common sense to know that staying positive is not the be-all and end-all of mental health you are going to keep believing that thinking happy thoughts will magically make everything better instead of getting your shit together and really dealing with your problems, and that is not only extremely naive but also highly counterproductive.
And I'm not just pulling this out of my ass, you have no idea how many people I know here who are just like what I described... It's depressing actually :P

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 11 months ago #2310

Aron, I think that you are wrong. I am constantly positive, and super happy and somehow things always turn out happily for me :D Thinking happy make you happy, that is why you are so angry : You nitpick constantly :D
Go! Enjoy life! Have sex! Think happy! And have some ice cream!

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 11 months ago #2373

How nice for you FuriousAna. I'm very happy for you and I don't say that sarcastically, I'm honestly glad you are happy in life, but I'm going to assume that you live in a developed country, had a relatively good upbringing (I don't want to say privileged because I don't know you) and are white. I dare you to say what you wrote in your last post to some starving kid in Africa or a Syrian refugee or even just a homeless person in any rich first world country.

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 4 months ago #2942

Most of us probably want that to be true because of the way it simplifies life and allows us to take control.
An involuntary lack of control is the single biggest stressor in life and your brain will do pretty much anything within its power to avoid it happening, which is also a major reason religion is so popular.
Everyone is different and it may work for some folks, but the way positive thinking is preached now is nothing but pseudo science and popular psychology BS.

Sure you can smile your way through minor setbacks and mishaps, but when some major shit hits the fan such as the death of a loved one, bankruptcy or a severe medical diagnosis, there's nowhere to turn. And I'd like to see how positive thinking helps then.
  • Page: