Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is negativity killing us?

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 11 months ago #2946

I would disagree, strongly.
I had all of those: death of a loved one (several times, including a parent), bankruptcy and destitution ( at one point in my life I ate maybe once a day if my friends invited me over and couldn't afford heating all winter) and I have two medical conditions that are at times so painful I pass out or shake uncontrollably.
But I always keep my thoughts positive! That is what keeps me alive, strong and compassionate.
I look at every situation in my life as an opportunity to learn. So, shit happens, I accept all the emotions (positive or negative), I do something meaningless to my hair in order to feel a bit better, than review the situation to see what can I learn from it or what can I fix (if anything) and I let it go.
All the time looking to spot positive sides of the ordeal.
And today I'm grateful, not just for the fact that I'm alive and have a roof over my head, warm place to sleep or food on my table, but for every single lesson I have learned and the person I emerged as. I start my every day with gratitude, meditation and applied positive psychology and show up to the world, no regrets in mind and always ready to smile, help and spread good vibes. :cheer:
And the whole shabang makes me a better friend, person and worker.
Not that I imagine it, just take a look a Dr Shawn Achor explaining it in this brief TED talk (yes, this is a TED talk, a short presentation of a theory but more information and research is available online)
I will not be forgotten This is my time to shine I've got the scars to prove it
Only the strong survive
I'm not afraid of dying Everyone has their time Life never favored weakness
Welcome to the pride
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 7 months ago #3007

What you described is how most of people cope with their problems. But did you remain positive while all of that was happening to you or you became positive again after you've taken some time to regroup? There is a big difference. 'Remain positive' preaching that I was talking about says that you can stay positive as the shit is hitting you and that staying positive will eventually stop the shit from happening.

Is negativity killing us? 3 years 7 months ago #3009

I had to. If I couldn't find at least a bit of positivity while the shit was hitting the fan, I would not survive it.
"One parent dead but hey I still got the other one alive, bit crazy, but alive and well" "I am cold and hungry but at least I have a roof over my head and starting a job so I will have something to eat in a week" type of thing... This is what keeps me going, sane and not on the murderous rampage :)
Also, shit eventually stopped happening as I got less stressed so that is a big bonus :)
I will not be forgotten This is my time to shine I've got the scars to prove it
Only the strong survive
I'm not afraid of dying Everyone has their time Life never favored weakness
Welcome to the pride
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Jazzy.
  • Page: