Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fictional board games made real

Fictional board games made real 8 years 1 month ago #2174

You know how in movies, cartoons or TV shows you'll sometimes see characters playing some sort of made up tabletop game, usually one that is a reference to, if not an outright parody of, an existing game like Magic the Gathering or Dungeons & Dragons or the like. Well, it turns out a bunch of those games actually make it into real life. Sometimes they are homemade versions where fans deduce or make up their own rules for a game and sometimes they are an actual product published by a respectable gaming company.
If you know of any such games that can be bought or whose rules can be found on the web, post them here. I'd love to know just what can be found on this glorious thing we call the internet... If not for any other reason then because from the first moment I saw them on that episode of Parks and Recreation I've wanted to play Cones of Dunshire soooo bad :lol:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fictional board games made real 8 years 1 month ago #2186

On street fair maybe a year ago i had strange but pleasant chat with a guy (my age) while eating noodles at his fathers street cart food. Im a foodie and sometimes i go berserk so after third tempura dish that nice old man offered us to play Kamisado. hahah probably to stop me from eating all food. :lol:

The guy (i forgot names) told me that game didnt have asian roots even though it was covered in chinese or cantonese symbols. I was just moving those towers as he told me lol

Little less awkward stop i had with a girl once but its more private game :side:

Fictional board games made real 8 years 1 month ago #2194

After looking up the rules and background of this game I can safely say that you missed the point of the topic. You should have posted this in "Board-games", not here.
While the game seems cool, it doesn't involve any dice or cards so no luck is involved, only skill (and I really like those) it's not a fictional game from a fictional universe.

This topic is about imaginary games like this...

...that end up being made into true games in real life. At least that is how I understood it.

Fictional board games made real 8 years 1 month ago #2199

I still have my Wiraqocha. a war game with controling elements. great for 2P
Sometimes I carry it in my dufflebag, on road :P

Fictional board games made real 8 years 1 month ago #2203

Guys, I don't mean to be a dick and I really do appreciate a good board game suggestion in any circumstance, but Rathamon is right, you are missing the point of the topic. It's about games that are made up and initially only exist in some movie or novel but then get made in real life... Everything else should be posted in Board-games.
A good example of what I mean is what Rathamon posted, that Magic the Gathering parody from Adventure Time now exists as a real life game. Other examples would be Thud or Cripple Mr. Onion, a chess-like game and a card game respectively, that originally existed just as figments of Terry Pratchett's imagination until they were made into actual games.

Fictional board games made real 8 years 1 month ago #2211

OMG! Thanks so much for this subject :woohoo:
It made me look up look up Pai Sho, which I wouldn't have thought to do in a million years, and it exists! I'm a huge Avatar fan, and an even bigger fan of Iroh :lol: , so naturally I was always intrigued by just what kind of game is Pai Sho.
Even if there isn't an "official" product to be bought out there, I found this how to link and I now know what is my next DIY project... making a Pai Sho board and tiles :lol:
www.wikihow.com/Play-the-Ancient-Game-of-Pai-Sho

Fictional board games made real 8 years 1 month ago #2232

Huh, didn't know that game in Avatar was made up. I thought it was one of those real asian games like Go or Shogi or something. Personally I always wondered if the trippy three dimensional chess that they play in Star Trek is bullshit or for real. I'd say it was bullshit because I can swear that the playing board looks different from episode to episode but if trekies can make Klingon into a functioning language I wouldn't be surprised if they made up rules for that as well. Anyway I ask this more out of curiosity than because I want to play that game. I suck at normal chess so I can only imagine I would suck so much more spectacularly at a 3D version :lol:
  • Page: