Welcome, Guest
As its name suggests, this is a very dark place. Continue at your own risk.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Weird/confusing/contradictory subcultures

Weird/confusing/contradictory subcultures 3 years 1 week ago #2685

You know how sometimes a group's beliefs and/or actions don't make a lick of sense... they just don't add up.
Like radical animal protection activists who would hurt people to protect animals or christian hate groups who spew insults that would make a sailor blush and condemn people to hell while saying "Jesus forgives" in their sermons.
You know, those weird pairings that you would never put together but somehow inexplicably exist!

One such group that I found out about recently and that inspired me to start this thread (and even make a video about it :P ) are the Nipsters, or nazi hipsters... yeah, you heard me right :S

Here's the video I did about them

If you have any thoughts or opinions on nipsters that you'd like to add here, feel free to do so, or, if you know of any other trippy subculture like this, share that as well ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Weird/confusing/contradictory subcultures 3 years 1 week ago #2691

Or, the other way around:
There are antifa skinhead groups. They look like skinheads, they act like skinheads but they protect and advocate human rights, equality of sexes, animal rights and ecology... They are often male feminists :lol:
I wouldn't believe those are real but I got to know quite a few of them over the years :D
Weirdest subculture ever :)
I will not be forgotten This is my time to shine I've got the scars to prove it
Only the strong survive
I'm not afraid of dying Everyone has their time Life never favored weakness
Welcome to the pride

Weird/confusing/contradictory subcultures 3 years 6 days ago #2697

Jazzy wrote:
I wouldn't believe those are real but I got to know quite a few of them over the years :D
Weirdest subculture ever :)

If you had told me that a couple of months ago I would have completely agreed with you, but after doing the research on nipsters and skinheads in general I would say it's more like our perception of skinheads is the thing that is weird. If you look at the roots of the skinhead subculture, having those beliefs is not weird at all... or at least it's no weirder than any other non-nazi group having those same beliefs

Weird/confusing/contradictory subcultures 3 years 5 days ago #2700

LOL Nipsters! :lol:
Everybody hates them here in Germany! Even the other neo-nazis, the hard core ones, hate them and are ashamed of them :lol:

Weird/confusing/contradictory subcultures 3 years 5 days ago #2702

Wow, just when you thought hipsters can't get any more obnoxious :P

A weird subculture for me are those japanese rockabilly gangs. The ones with the leather jackets and those pompadour haircuts. I've seen caricatures of them in anime but I always thought they were just another weird manga trope. I never thought you could actually have hair like that in real life... until I saw this

Weird/confusing/contradictory subcultures 3 years 14 hours ago #2711

Japan is another planet, they don't count when we speak of weirdness and contradiction :woohoo:
But if we stepped into the topic, there are always yamanba girls... They wear a caricatured versions of what they perceive that westerners find sexy in anime (WTF?!) and their makeup scares me...
Like nightmarish child of Lady Gaga and Kung Fu Panda
I will not be forgotten This is my time to shine I've got the scars to prove it
Only the strong survive
I'm not afraid of dying Everyone has their time Life never favored weakness
Welcome to the pride
Last Edit: 3 years 14 hours ago by Jazzy.

Weird/confusing/contradictory subcultures 3 years 13 hours ago #2712

I was about to mention those ganguro chicks but you beat me to the punch :lol:
Here's a link to the article where I first read about them, #5 Gyaru
Your description wasn't that far off, in the article they called them panda hookers :P

Weird/confusing/contradictory subcultures 3 years 10 hours ago #2714

Ok wow! It seems rl Japan is even weirder than anime Japan :lol:
Is such a thing even possible?!? :huh:

Weird/confusing/contradictory subcultures 2 years 11 months ago #2786

Has anyone heard of raggare? I just found out about it, apparently it's this weird subculture in Sweden. It's people who are reeeeally into 50's american style but also somehow rednecks. I don't know about you but when I imagine Sweden, or any scandinavian country for that matter, I always imagine this ultra liberal utopia filled with incredibly pale and impossibly blonde people. What I don't imagine is 1950's rockabilly style greasers toting guns and sporting a confederate flag on their pimped out muscle car that looks like it came out of Grease the movie.
I've seen some pictures and it baffles the mind. I honestly feel like someone is fucking with me because that just seems so weird for a nordic country like Sweden... you couldn't go farther from the american south than fucking Sweden! :lol:

Weird/confusing/contradictory subcultures 2 years 11 months ago #2791

I've read somewhere about them but I remember it saying they were into muscle cars and 50's american pop culture like you said, but there was no mention of a redneck element. All the pictures were also not rednecky... it was mostly a whole bunch of trippy people hanging out of tricked out cars.
Now I'm google imaging Raggare and you're bloody right! There are so many confederate flags you guys! :blink:

That's all in Sweden! Not America. BLOODY SWEDEN! WTF?! :P
  • Page: