Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fountain Pens anyone?

Fountain Pens anyone? 4 years 5 days ago #2053

I'm currently looking for fountain pens to fill out my set of steampunk accessories for a few outfits I have. I am wondering what others use, do you disguise ordinary pens by yourself or use real fountain pens?
I was looking to buy one already steampunk themed and they cost a fortune.
Do you know any alternatives to buy them cheaper or have any helpful "how to videos" and articles?
And how do you prevent them from leeking, smudging fingers and staining clothes?
I never used one so I appreciate every advice :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fountain Pens anyone? 4 years 5 days ago #2057

I guess we have a bit different idea of what is expensive :) I love fountain pens and I have at least 10 of them. All of them are the ones people use at school, you know, with refiles you buy at supermarket :) They write beautifully and cost around 4 euro...
Some of them I modified with spray-paint and gems to look goth or steampunk, they look ok, but it could be better :D

Fountain Pens anyone? 4 years 5 days ago #2059

I use them a lot, some for writing some for drawing and I use calligraphy pens too :evil:
I have some of those cheap ones, some from Parker that costed an arm and a leg and some unique ones I bought over the years...
This is my next conquest :

But now I realize I never modified one myself.... I will have to try that now :)

When you get good at using a fountain pen I would recommend you to think about using something like this for authentic steampunk feel :)

Or a set of calligraphy brushes, since the Asia theme was very popular in Victorian era :)

Fountain Pens anyone? 4 years 5 days ago #2062

Last time I had a fountain pen in my hands was more than a decade ago. And now I wonder why I never use them, they write so beautifully!
I should try again, maybe take up calligraphy as a hobby, so I can put something like this on my wall :)

As for the ink stains, they are easy to remove, just with water and soap if you do it immediately, otherwise dry cleaning is necessary :(

Fountain Pens anyone? 4 years 4 days ago #2078

Calligraphy is a fantastic form of art, and useful a lot of times, especially for invitations and stuff like that :)

I used to use fountain pens, and enjoy them quite a bit. But, I also lose them on regular bases, and even the cheap ones cost around 5 euro each...
Therefore, I generally use roller-ball pens and such for writing.

For art and calligraphy on the other hand I use a dip pen and nib, quill, glass pen, or calligraphy brush.
Windsor and Newton shellac-based India ink are great for calligraphy.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 days ago by LadySelene.
  • Page: