Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gothic literature

Gothic literature 2 years 6 months ago #2717

What are your favorite gothic novels or poems?
I've read a bunch of Anne Rice's books and some Poe but I'd like more suggestions as to what is worthy of reading :)
Any example of gothic literature is welcome. I'd prefer serious books over twilight or some other trashy vampire novels but if the pulp fiction is exceptionally good bring it on! Vampire academy is a guilty pleasure of mine :P
Right now I'm about to start with a classic ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Gothic literature 2 years 6 months ago #2720

If you want serious classics just go for the classic monsters :lol:
The original strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde or Bram Stoker's Dracula for example

Gothic literature 2 years 6 months ago #2722

That's a good idea, I can follow up Frankenstein with other iconic horror figures and make a monster mash out of it :lol: but what would be the "classic" novels for the werewolf and the mummy?

Gothic literature 2 years 6 months ago #2736

I'm not entirely clear as to what constitutes gothic literature (is it just dark horror novels with a gothic feel or is it literature from that time in history or what?) but I'm sure "The Picture of Dorian Gray" would suffice by any definition ;)
Plus, with vampires and Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde you are well on your way to including all of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen :P

Gothic literature 2 years 6 months ago #2741

Dorian Gray would definitely fall into gothic literature... at least if you ask me! :P
I've already read it but it's a great suggestion for anyone else who might take an interest in the field :lol:

Gothic literature 2 years 6 months ago #2747

I've been told by a friend who is very much into novels like this to recommend "The Devil's Elixir".
I haven't read it personally and I know squat about it, except for what she's told me (that it's a early 19th century German novel that has depraved monks and doppelgšngers in it), but she assures me that you'll love it :lol:

Gothic literature 2 years 6 months ago #2751

Thank your friend, I'll definitely be checking it out :lol:
I always loved the concept of doppelgangers as the dark side that everyone harbors within themselves so any insight into the origin of that myth is welcome ;)

Gothic literature 1 year 11 months ago #2983

Are there any dark themed children's books? I would have to read something to my little nephew :D :D :evil:

Gothic literature 1 year 11 months ago #2984

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is the best :woohoo:
  • Page: