Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: 10 most common myths about goths

10 most common myths about goths 2 years 9 months ago #2139

Goth culture is usually tied to white, middle class communities in Europe.
Yes, Europe has a more lively goth scene, but USA does not fall that short, not all goths are white or from middle class and not all trad goths are snobs (trust me, I was born to one).

Now, lets ask some important questions and debunk some myths and prejudice!

Myth No1: American goths are just a bunch of Mall goths that listen to Nu Metal!

I have no idea how it came to this myth, must be something in the popularity of Nu Metal in the early 2000's that sparked this... Americans also wear all kinds of goth fashions and listen to all kind of goth music genres. Maybe Victorian is not that popular as it is in Germany but that does not mean that they all just buy random black stuff at the mall, don't DIY or are not creative... They are Americans, not robots... And there is nothing wrong with Nu Metal from time to time...

Myth No2: Black people can't be goth!

Seriously?! Really?! What is more goth, dark, sexy and mysterious than voodoo?! And don't restrict black folks (I don't say African-american because not all black goths are american) only to voodoo! Every single goth style is cool on any skin color and that is final!

Myth No3: Asian Goths only wear Lolita style and black Lolita styles.

Where do people even come up with this kind of shit?! Sometimes I regret time spent on internet, I just learn how many morons are out there! No, people all over the world wear whatever they want, because guess what: globalization and accessibility of free world market! This kind of stereotyping is not just weird it is wrong and damages the reputation of our free thinking goth community.

Myth No4: All goth guys are skinny, sickly weirdos.

I will just leave this photo here.... Just, leave it there in the open... This is only the godfather of goth ... Enjoy :D

Myth No5: Goths are gloomy and unhappy

This is so not true! We do not gather around on graveyards crying over the sunny sky and fluffy unicorns. By expressing our darker side and our negativity trough creativity we tend to be more content and happy than most. Just pop to your nearest goth club and try to talk to people, you will get what I'm talking about :)

Myth No6: Goths are Satan worshipers and witches

Ooooohhhh, where do I even start on this one?
Being a goth does not determine your religion... I know goths who are Wiccan, Muslim, Atheists, Christians, Satanists, Luciferians, Pagans ... List can go on and on! I hope I was clear on that one!

Myth No7: Goths are nazi

As with the religion, being a goth does not determine ones political views!
There are nazi goths but also apolitical, anarchists, democrats, liberals, communists, monarchists..... Goth as a subculture is not associated with politics in any way!

Myth No8: Goths hate other people

We do not hate non goths, we are usually the target of hate. People stare, rudely comment, yell at us, throw stuff at us, we are discriminated against at school, work, social situations.... You name it! After a while we just show rude people the bird and go on with our lives. :) We are not the ones who hate, we have better, more creative, things to do!

Myths No9: Goths are rude, uneducated and wild

We are the subculture that thrives on literature, poetry, culture and idealizes Victorian manners. That is all I have to say...

Myth No10 Goths are promiscuous, all bisexual or gay and all goth girls want is to have sex with anybody and everybody

Sexuality is individual thing and goths tend to be really accepting of all kinds of sexual expression. Bottom line, being a goth does not determine sexual or gender orientation, sexuality or level of sexual activity... We are just (usually) more relaxed about sexuality than most.

Now, any more myths that need debunking? I'm waiting for you :D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

10 most common myths about goths 2 years 9 months ago #2159

I have heard so many misconceptions about goths, this does not even begin to cover it!
My favorite is the one I found on some Christian Church website that says: All goths are vegans because that is how they worship Satan!
That was an actual topic on their forum! :woohoo: I couldn't stop laughing :D

10 most common myths about goths 2 years 9 months ago #2264

Myth No11:You grow out of the goth faze...
Bitch please! My gothness may evolve over time, but it is not a faze!
This is how I like to imagine myself as a garndma :D

10 most common myths about goths 2 years 9 months ago #2337

This video, explained everything!
I recognized my high school self in so many of these :D Do you?

10 most common myths about goths 2 years 9 months ago #2383

No.11 is rubbish. I personally am a walking dementi. and also I know so much older freaks with lifestyle completely adapted to goth B)

10 most common myths about goths 2 years 9 months ago #2396

I would love to be an "old freak" one day :D With epic dreadlocks, tattoos, weird jewelry :evil: But classy and elegant "old freak" :D

10 most common myths about goths 2 years 2 months ago #2955

How about that one that all goths are suffering from a certain form of mental illness that prevents us from conforming and makes us like cats?!
Also a gem from a Republican Christian forum :D

10 most common myths about goths 2 years 1 month ago #2958

@NoTimeForShit you just made my day :D Those websites and forums are pure gold of hilarious insanity :D
I will not be forgotten This is my time to shine I've got the scars to prove it
Only the strong survive
I'm not afraid of dying Everyone has their time Life never favored weakness
Welcome to the pride
  • Page: