Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Understanding goth?

Understanding goth? 2 years 8 months ago #2092

All this talk about what is goth and what is not got me confused.
Now seriously, I'm not trolling....
As somebody who is not a goth but is far from mainstream I understand full well the appeal of the tribe. No need to explain that kind of psychological sense of belonging.
What interests me is:
When is someone recognized as goth by other goths?
Wen someone does not look like a goth anymore (due to work and life in general) but still enjoys and participates in the subculture, is that person still a goth?
How much is it about music and how much about fashion?
What other aspects of the subculture there are (books, movies, games...)?
And do those parameters wary by the genre of goth?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Understanding goth? 2 years 8 months ago #2104

Recognized you say? I was never part of tribe.
Frankkly my dear i never had issue with my affiliation or acceptance anywhere I went.
You wouldnt believe that i was best accepted in skinhead club. I got lost in Berlin. West side, lots of lights and cops.
How did I end up in that club i still dont recollect but they did notice im different but my attitude wasnt :evil:

Understanding goth? 2 years 8 months ago #2106

Its not easy to understand the subculture that has been around and evolved slowly since the late 70's.
But you are a goth if you feel like one :) share some interests, appreciate the aesthetics and generally associate with goths.
With so many subgenres of looks and music that fall under the label of goth you can pretty much do as you please. It is not "any color that you like as long as its black" type of scene anymore :)

And it is equally divided between music, fashion, literature, film and games (in a past decade).

Understanding goth? 2 years 8 months ago #2119

I ndesrtand that versatility yet doesnt that dilute the whole movement, so to speak.
Nobody can not fight (or should) those evolution steps but hey..maybe it will go to far, or too many colors :S ;)

Understanding goth? 2 years 8 months ago #2245

I don't think that new styles dilute the goth scene. They are making it better and more versatile.
And, some fresh style is needed from time to time, like someone sad : Goth is here since the late 70's :D
Imagine if it did't change at all, that would be just sad...
  • Page: