Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Amusing responses to cosplay from familly, friends

Amusing responses to cosplay from familly, friends 3 years 3 months ago #2371

Add your amusing story! I'm sure a lot of our parents (depending on age) when we first started to now had some pretty interesting reactions to our hobby. I've sent pictures of my stuff to my mom and she's always been like "good job!" or what not, but recently completing Yoko was the first time she ever said something other then that. After sending her the finished picture she texted me back

"Well now, isn't that a bit small? You're not going to a convention alone are you? Is your boyfriend/girlfriend going with you?" I couldn't help but laugh because she's never said anything about prior costumes. What is it about costumes and cosplay that freaks every adult? Hahaha. :woohoo:

I love when I do get to see my mom and friends helping.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Amusing responses to cosplay from familly, friends 3 years 3 months ago #2392

Here's my story. I'm 21. I live with my parents. They hate cosplay. They've hated it from back when I was 12 and tried to put together an Ichigo Momomiya costume. My mother saw what I was doing, decided it's bad for me and threw it away once it got out of my sight. I got pretty sad... but some time later (ok a lot of time, when I was 19) I decided to try and make a costume again. This time, I was not about to give up. I was determined to continue with the hobby. My parents never cared about my hard work on costumes, nor my craftsmanship skills. They still hated it. I make all of my costumes on my own, and I'm really proud of them, but my parents were never proud a single bit. For them, I am still a freak in a wig who is wasting her 'time, money and talent' on bullshit. I've been threatened to clear out my wardrobe of costumes and wigs because they wouldn't tolerate it. I've had numerous heartbreaks and breakdowns because of it. Yet, now it's the third year of me cosplaying, and I still love it. And I don't intend to stop.

Amusing responses to cosplay from familly, friends 3 years 3 months ago #2395

Not my story, but worth sharing:
Few years ago my friend decided to cosplay, since we live in Serbia and he is a dude and here cosplay is perceived as "not manly" his father was about to explode.
He called a family crisis meeting and proceed to shout anti weirdo/gay/not christian/cult/satanism (you name it, he shouted it) and "be a good christian" "do what normal guys your age do" "you will never have a girlfriend if you are such a geek" "I used to beat up guys like you when I was young for fun" "you will do as I say as long as you are under my roof" for good hour and a half. And the whole family (my friend, his sister, mother and grandmother) was forced to listen to this.
All sorts of bullshit, it really hit the fan, his mother is crying, sister is supporting dad and grandma just sits there...
Well, at one point, he run out of steam and grandma was all like:
Are you done? Ok, now I have something to say...
And then comes the best grandma speach in history of mankind:
Son, I have been to your school last week, teachers could't say enough nice things about you. It seems you will be able to pick and choose what and where to study. I'm so proud of you. I am proud you do not do what "normal" guys your age do for fun, because it means that you will make something out of your life, unlike your idiot of a father.
He was so super normal and did normal things for fun, like drinking and skipping school, so he got your mother knoked up last year of school, he was fired for every job because he is an alcoholic, he sits home and watches TV in his motherinlaw's apartment, living off his wife's paycheck and still has a nerve to act like patre familias. Your father can move out and buy his own apartment if he wants to boss around, because as long as he is under my roof, he will do as I say. Understood!

Such a BURN!!!!!

Well, a year later, his mother filed for divorce, no use in supporting a parasite :D And my friend got a full scholarship to go to St.Martins and study costumegrapy :D

Amusing responses to cosplay from familly, friends 3 years 3 months ago #2402

I wish I can all hug you atm. :P

@MUMBOJUMBO sincerely yours I am inbetween this lines.
That type of jerkoff dad is everywhere but super grandma took my tear of joy down the face. I could imagine my brother talking like this. He went from home few years ago. he was much older than me but full of compassion and understanding.
Miss him so much so I'll do his favourite female character he was in love with. "Callisto" from Xenaverse.

Yea what can I say. my bro was a sucker for B-rated action bimbos. :P

Amusing responses to cosplay from familly, friends 3 years 3 months ago #2404

TENSHI. PLS remain what you are. I told allready that sacrifice must be met somehow.
You are obviously talented and all you need is persistence. As I see your costumes i sense perkiness also.
all there is to say here is stay true, work hard and try to even call your parents to some of your shows.
Even if that means flaming wars between you and them.
They must understand :oops:

Amusing responses to cosplay from familly, friends 3 years 3 months ago #2405

I really get bummed out when I hear stories like this :(
I had the fortune of growing up in a loving supportive family so I never had conflicts quite like this and I can't wrap my head around them. I just don't get parents like that! I understand not being able to relate to your child's hobbies or interests, different generations different mentalities and all that, but as that old saying goes "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all". It's one thing to not be as enthusiastic about something as your kid but actively disparaging that thing and effectively shiting on your child's dreams is another thing altogether.

Amusing responses to cosplay from familly, friends 3 years 3 months ago #2406

@hackShe Thanks, girl <3 I will most certainly not give up :) As for perkiness, I suppose it derives from my attempt to do my best and stay positive about the thing I enjoy!! I thinks cosplay has numerous pros that are not visible on the surface, so I will not give up uncovering those to my parents either :) It's sad to see that they dislike the results of my passionate and hard work, but I'm not about to give up on anyone yet ;)
I don't think anyone should because, where there is a will, there is a way!!

Amusing responses to cosplay from familly, friends 3 years 3 months ago #2418

I'm not a cosplayer so I can't talk about that but I can relate with parents who are unsupportive of one's hobbies. When I started playing D&D a long time ago my mom couldn't handle it. It's not that she screamed at me or forbade me from playing but she just couldn't understand what it is me and my friends were doing. I tried explaining it on more than one occasion but she would always look at me with with this confused and worried face like I had lost my mind and was talking complete gibberish. I don't know if she thought we were part of a cult or doing drugs or who knows, but whenever we had sessions she was always so concerned like we were doing god knows what. She got used to it over the years and I'm almost positive she knows we are playing a game and not sacrificing live chickens to Hastur, Him Who Is Not to be Named, but she is still apprehensive about it like she thinks that deep down we are doing something wrong or abnormal.

Amusing responses to cosplay from familly, friends 3 years 2 months ago #2432

You really had tough time Marek. :unsure:

As a parent it makes me glad to see that picture on top. I want to provide that kind support to my babygirl.
So touchy to see them two habing fun. Few time s I intervened on some sport classes and other outdoor activities whrn parents are starting to bully their kids. I mean really! :angry:
Most of those grown ups are numb from unsettled life and then they crash on youngsters.
So adult thing to do :huh:

Amusing responses to cosplay from familly, friends 3 years 2 months ago #2435

I wouldn't say I had that tough a time. Compared to parents throwing away your stuff (or even threatening to do so) or having a meltdown in which they yell at you, insult and degrade you, I had it easy. My mom was never that extreme about it, it was more a case of unnecessary, and sometimes funny, concern and a complete lack of understanding.